Pages

Labels

Friday 11 April 2014

Textile Bowl and the Finished Apron

I adapted Ruth Lane's felt scrap bowl tutorial to include a piece of hand-dyed cotton scrim to make a small textile bowl from felt and fabric scraps. The method involves laying out your fabric scraps on a piece of water-soluble fabric (WSF), creating a sandwich by adding a second piece of WSF, pinning it together and using free-motion embroidery all over it so that all the pieces of fabric are stitched together. Here is my layout (scrim on the botttom, then WSF with felt and fabric scraps - I put another sheet of WSF on top of this):

Here is the finished bowl after wetting out the WSF and leaving it to dry over another bowl:

I most like how the scrim has solidified and looks like water splashing up from the surface of a pond.

I am really pleased with how the apron turned out, all those hours applying wax were worth it in the end! It's not very obvious from the photo but there are lots of pale greens and blue still visible from the original rainbow dyeing. The label said it was 100% cotton but clearly the waist straps aren't. I have sprayed it with clear plasti-drip to water-proof it and hope to find out on Sunday if that has worked...

And a close up:

Linking up to nina-marie, off the wall Friday

9 comments:

  1. Wow! The finished apron is stunning, you must be very proud of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Josie, it took over 8 hours to make but I think it was totally worth it!

      Delete
  2. That bowl is sooo cool! I love the "water splashing" too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny, it's a great technique for using up scraps of fabric too. I have plans to make a larger vessel using just scrim (no felt or embroidery).

      Delete
  3. I like the addition of the scrim to the felt scrap bowl. And the apron is absolutely marvelous. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the bowl Terri! And the apron is beyond my understanding... I need to go back some posts and read about it. But the result is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Felicity, the technique for the apron is really quite simple, I rainbow dyed the apron and allowed it to dry before doodling a design on it with cold wax from George Weil, then I over-dyed it with a darker colour (purple), wherever the wax was applied it kept the green and blue colours from the original dyeing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bowl with the scrim and yes, the apron was worth all the effort! Very pretty pattern.

    ReplyDelete