Pages

Labels

Sunday 5 April 2015

Back in action

Apologies I have been away from the blogging world for a couple of months, life has been more than a little hectic since January, although things are improving I wish I could say it was all over, there is a court hearing in a couple of weeks and I am optimistic things will return to something approaching normal after that.

I have been finding the odd moment to do some felting though (I would go mad if I couldn't find some space to be creative) and last week was spent at the International Feltmakers Association Conference and AGM which was spectacular (more on that in another post).

Here are a few of the pieces I have been working on since January, this is a dress made using one of the techniques taught on Fiona Duthie's Surface Design Online course:



Following some discussion on how to use silk cocoons and other goodies from experimentation packs on the Felting and Fiber Forum, I have been having a little play with some silk cocoons. These 3 are embedded in some Bergschaf wool (a gift from the lovely Jane Mercer), it is a lovely wool to work with, it felted quickly and forms an nice tight felt.

I like the gently rounded humps that the cocoons create and have an idea to use them in a 3D wall hanging, perhaps with the kap merino I bought from Woolknoll a few weeks ago.


This is the piece I am currently working on, feeling inspired by all the hat making at the IFA conference I have an idea to make a series of hats using the symbols /national plants of different countries. This one is inspired by the English oak tree:

Covering the branches with wool is proving to be quite a challenge, this hat is either going to be a brilliant feat of felt engineering or a disaster! This is what it looks like after 2 days of work...

Thank you Marilyn for giving me a gentle nudge back into blogging :)

6 comments:

  1. Glad you're back! I love, love, love the cocoons in the felt. And the tree hat looks very complex. I hope it works out how you want it. Hope all gets back to normal and you have more felting and creative time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I'm so glad to see you back, I was worried. You have inspired me on so many levels, :-) The dress is lovely, yes those Fiona techniques keep calling... The cocoons are awesome. I can't wait to see how the English Oak tree turns out! Good luck on your court hearing! Please stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are back at last! I knew nothing about your problems, thought you were busy with IFA meeting... I really like your cocoon "study", the piece looks striking! And I'm very much looking forward to see the hat finished. It looks very promising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies, you are all so kind, I am really touched by your generosity of spirit and words of encouragement. The hat is still in progress, I am up to the final layers and trying to figure out how best to attach the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you back , you were missed . Nice to see the silk cocoons and the Bergschaap too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jane, and thank you for the Bergschaf too, it isn't a wool I would have ever thought to buy from trawling through catalogues but it is a nice wool to work with.

    ReplyDelete