It looked like an interesting approach so I gave it a go.
|laying out the first layer of roving over some dyed cotton scrim|
|Adding the sleeves|
|Adding some prefelt kittens|
This is the wool I used, it contains a small amount of white tussah silk so the finished dress has a subtle sheen to it.
The new sleeve method didn't really work as planned; there were several holes where the sleeves joined the body when I first remove the resist. Not a big problem, a little bit of needle felting soon resolved that.
No matter how much I worked and fulled the armpits the arm holes were ENORMOUS. I had to resort to lots of tucks and darts to make the dress fit. It was a lot more work than I expected but I think it was worth it in the end and the colour is a delightful bluish purple.
All is not lost though, Nada posted another option for making sleeves on the forum, so that will keep me out of mischief over Crimbo :)